Welcome to School of Biotechnology
|Head : Dr. Santosh Kumar Sethi
|Designation : ASSISTANT PROFESSOR & HEAD
|Qualification : M.Sc., Ph. D. Post Doc. , (Biotechnology)
|Phone No. :
|Email id : email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org
Biotechnology is a fast growing, dynamic and evolving field in science with multidisciplinary areas. Currently, the emergence of Biotechnology is fast approaching to become an integral part of modern biological science and Technology. Biotechnology, being the technological applications that use biological system for our specific benefits, has tremendous potential to address basic problems related to health acre, agriculture, food science and environment. School of Biotechnology came in existence under the School of Life Sciences at Gangadhar Meher University in 2019. School of Biotechnology was established to give a new shape to the development of Modern Biological Science in Odisha, as per the need for this modern technology of the state.
Thrust areas of the School in teaching and research include multidisciplinary research in the fields of Bioinformatics, Bioprospecting of microorganisms including algology, environmental microbiology, stress biology, plant tissue culture, Proeomics and genomics under stress. The School has a dedicated qualified faculty team having doctoral and post-doctoral research and teaching experiences and focus on research in the areas of Biotechnology.
The Master’s program in Biotechnology was started at the School from the year, 2019. The Ph.D. program has been initiated from the current academic session.
The School presently offers various programmes as follows:
- M.Sc. Biotechnology- A two-year degree program (Intake strength: 20 students per year)
- M.Phil Biotechnology- A one-year degree program
- Ph.D. Biotechnology
Vision of the School
To produce the biotechnology professionals with leadership quality in technology, creativity, innovation and entrepreneurship.
Mission of the School
To develop a research-based education model in Biotechnology. To provide advanced theoretical and practical training in Biotechnology with a particular specialization to produce high quality professionals Employment opportunities in Research and Development: The students with degree in Biotechnology will have an edge in starting a career in R&D Biotechnology, Bioinformatics, Agricultural Biotechnology, Industrial or Pharmaceutical industry for having advanced courses in Biotechnology as well as enough exposure to project work. The rigorous projects work enables them to work more of thinkers and planners who have the experience, competence and vision to identify a problem and design the required approach to solve it. The Degree holders are highly preferred by the industries, academics, research institutions because of their maturity and competence in biotechnological skills.
- Development of diagnostics for various diseases and pathogens
- Rational drug development (natural and synthetic) for therapeutic application
- Formulation and Product development from plant sources for therapeutic application
- Infectious diseases- diagnostics and anti-microbial resistance
- Landscape genetics, genetic characterization and DNA barcoding of animals
- Evaluation of therapeutic efficacy of compounds using animal models
- Bioprospecting of novel genes and metabolites from bioresources
- Landscape genetics of plants of Odisha coast to measure the impact of climate change
- Genetic characterization and DNA barcoding of plants
- Genetic improvement of indigenous medicinal herbs
- Plant cell cultures for rapid multiplication and production of phytochemicals
- Biotechnology tools to use in increase the yield of plant and animal products
- Production of plants for hybrid seed, biofuels
- Protect animals and crops from microbial diseases & pests through biocontrol technology
- Development of Bioinformatics tools and algorithms for analysis of biological data
- Protein modelling and computer aided drug design
- Clinical data ware house development and mining
- Bioremediation of contaminants, solid municipal waste, etc.
- Industrial enzymes: bioprospecting, genome mining and protein engineering
- Optimization, up-scaling and life-cycle analysis of bioprocesses